It can sometimes be hard to get excited about things during the winter time, as we all slog along through icy puddles and snowbanks and contend with overcast, grey days. But, my friends, let us not forget that, not only is it practically spring, it is officially post-Oscar movie season! Personally, I can’t think of a better way to ring in the spring and soon-to-be summer than by watching some super entertaining, super fantasmical films that, while not exactly Oscar-worthy, allow us to escape from the winter and into brighter days yet to come.
Case in point: Catherine Hardwicke’s new movie Red Riding Hood, or, as I like to call it, “Twilight 2”. But why do you call it “Twilight 2”, you might ask? Well, let’s consider a few things that Twilight and Red Riding Hood both share:
1. A smoldering, paranormal boy with perfectly styled hair? Check.
2. A pretty lady who is trying to get to the bottom of a magical mystery? Check.
3. All parts angst, drama, fantasy, and fairytale? Check.
4. Lots of darkly hued scenes and the significance of the color red (BLOOD! Or A CAPE!)? Check.
5. A ridiculous amount of running around in the woods? Check.
6. Wolf people? Werewolves! Check.
7. The acting talents of the always amazing, always hilarious BILLY BURKE? Check.
8. The directing prowess of Catherine Hardwicke? Duh.
In sum: my supreme love for Twilight, Catherine Hardwicke, paranormal activity, and all things epic ensure my guaranteed love for this film! I am super psyched to see it tonight, on opening night; are you?