Canada India Social Security Agreement

Hello Paul – There are no minimum contribution requirements for CPP pensions, so you are definitely entitled to the CPC at age 65 (or even at age 60 at a reduced rate). To be eligible for the OAS outside of Canada, you will need a minimum of 20 years in Canada after the age of 18. It seems that you are short, but you can qualify under the Canada-U.S. Social Security Agreement. Hello Joe – The agreement allows you to meet the 20-year requirement for OAA payment outside of Canada, but the amount of your OAS is based solely on residence in Canada, so it is 15/40th out of $600 -$225 per month. Hello Pierre – If you have been in Canada for at least 20 years after the age of 18, you are entitled to a partial OAS, wherever you live without agreement. If you have been in Canada less than 20 years after the age of 18, you would not be eligible for the OAS if you reside outside of Canada, unless you qualify under one of the many international agreements. I am a U.S. citizen and Canadian permanent resident who worked in the United States for 17 years before moving to Canada with my family in 2012. I intend to leave the CPC full-time next year with 5 years of contributions.

Assuming that I could use my work history in the United States to obtain eligibility under the U.S.-Canada agreement, how would my benefit amount be calculated? I ask the question because I am trying to determine the relative benefits of the U.S. Social Security benefit over the KKPp benefit. The SS consultant I spoke with said that I could only get benefits under one of the two plans, not both. My annual income in Canada is about $80,000 to $90,000 a year. In the last 6 years 6 pre 7 of my years in the U.S. my income was comparable to this one, but it was much lower upstream and the total amount I will receive from SS is relatively small because they calculate benefits on the basis of an average over a number of years. I suppose I would do better under CPC, but I do not know how my amount of benefits would be calculated here in Canada. Perhaps you could let me know. Thank you very much. Hello, Doug, I moved from Romania to Canada in 1996.

Canada has signed social security agreements with Romania. I am 59 years old and intend to retire at 65. I have a question about the postponement of the OAS; Most of the available information indicates: For each month of “valid” deferral, your OAS pension is increased by 0.6%. The maximum time is 5 years, which would increase your OAS pension by 36%. Hello Mark – I`m not going to pretend to be an expert on the Canada-U.K. deal, but I understand that it can`t be used to qualify for the benefits of the OAS as most other agreements allow. This means that you must have 20 full years in Canada to qualify for the 20/40ths OAS (about $300 per month from age 65). I do not know any details about the benefits of the United States, but the agreement should help you qualify.

Here is a web link that could help you clarify things: has Service Canada reach an agreement that National Insurance`s contributions (paid in the UK) can be charged on their 20-year requirement or that you must have lived and worked in Canada for 20 years to obtain the OAS abroad? I live in Canada all the time and emigrated with my family from Trinidad in 2003, where I lived for 49 years.