Art and Design
- The Royal Shakespeare Company performs five shows over the course of an unprecedented six-week residency in a specially constructed stage at the Park Avenue Armory.
- Chinese dissident artist Ai Wei Wei is released after three months in detention, but still faces significant restrictions on his travel and activities.
- A century of sparkly jewels from Van Cleef & Arpels, including some amazing art deco-era designs on exhibition at Cooper Hewitt, the National Design Museum of the Smithsonian.
- A fascinating (really!) history of the design of Oreo cookies and other stamped cookies and biscuits.
Fashion and Beauty
- Our local faves, Hayden Harnett, launch a bespoke scarf design service. Now PA Tammy can show her love for both dogs and scarves by rocking a custom silk chiffon scarf with her pup Paco’s picture!
- Hilarious exquisite corpse-style mash ups of pictures from the Sartorialist at the awesome site the Sartorial-twist.
- Violent Lips provide the WTF of the week! (yes, they are temporary tattoos for your lips).
- Quick and easy leopard spot nail tutorial from Refinery29.
To Eat, Drink, Do, and See
- 99 beers to drink this summer and why they are delicious.
- The New York Times, dead set on ruining all that is awesome, tries to popularize the term “Rocapulco” and reviews the new boardwalk spots. Food and drinks from Rockaway Taco, Blue Bottle Coffee, and Caracas Arepa Bar, to name a few.
- We seriously did not know you could go whale watching this summer. Take the Rockaway Ferry to get there.
- Nitehawk was supposed to be Williamsburg’s boozy cinema, but apparently some lame state law says you can’t take your drinks inside the theater?